· Roxy Music gets the cover caress with Roxy Re-Modeled on the Basic Lux imprint on March 22, featuring an international litany of chill-out and dance-music artists, from Madison Park and GoldLust to Abstract Foundation and Sunday People.
· The theatrical madness of Alice Cooper gets the nod in Magic K Records' release of Welcome to the Nightmare: An All-Star Salute to Alice Cooper at the end of this month. Hosting a metal friendly cast with Ronnie James Dio and Iced Earth, the CD features a handful of cool pairings - Slash and Roger Daltrey, Glen Hughes and Paul Gilbert, and Vince Neil and Mick Mars.
· Black Sabbath adds another cover compilation in its honor from Temporary Residence Records in April, entitled Everything Comes & Goes. Highlights include contributions from Matmos, the Chris Harvey Trio, Racebannon, and an acoustic take on "Iron Man" by Four Tet.
· Also due in April is Friends & Lovers: Songs of Bread from Badman Records, featuring Cake, Paula Frazer, Holy Sons, Josh Rouse, and more.
· The history of the Vancouver, British Columbia, punk-rock scene is revisited next week as Sudden Death Records is issuing the 1979 release Vancouver Complication on CD for the first time. With all proceeds benefiting the Vancouver Food Bank, the 15-track collection is a time capsule of this vibrant scene that produced D.O.A., the Subhumans, BIZ, and Pointed Sticks. Three bonus tracks fill out the CD, with Rude Norton, Tim Ray & The Druts, and one of punk's earliest all-girl bands, The Dishrags, formed when the members were age 15.
The Tonight Show with Jay Leno welcomes 3 Doors Down tonight, Lang Lang on Thursday, and Fantasia on Monday; The Late Show with David Letterman hosts Amos Lee this evening; The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson lets loose Unwritten Law on Friday overnight; and Jimmy Kimmel Live boasts Silvertide on Friday overnight and The O'Jays on Tuesday overnight.
New Releases Coming Tuesday, March 8:
... and like the winds, young grasshopper, are subject to change
50 Cent - The Massacre (Aftermath) with guests Lloyd Banks and Eminem
Ak-Momo - Return to N.Y. (Hidden Agenda) Swedish duo utilizing Mellotron and an Optigan
The Amazing Pilots - Hello My Captor (Undertow) from Dublin, Ireland
Nic Armstrong & The Thieves - The Great White Liar (New West) domestic issue of this critically acclaimed British singer-songwriter, featuring covers of Chuck Berry's "I Want to Be Your Driver" and Lieber & Butler's "Down Home Girl," made famous by the Rolling Stones in 1965
Ash - Meltdown (Record Collection) domestic release of this gold UK hit from last year, featuring the song "Clones" from the new Lucas Arts videogame Republic Commando
Black Label Society - Mafia (Artemis) new from Zakk Wylde and company
Blood or Whiskey - Cashed Out Culture (Punk Core) mixing traditional Irish music with punk rock, this new CD features guest vocalist Cait O'Riordan of The Pogues
The Boomtown Rats - Live at Hammersmith Odeon, UK 1978 (Eagle Vision) DVD featuring "I Don't Like Mondays" and "She's So Modern"
Devil in a Woodpile - In Your Lonesome Town (Bloodshot) featuring a must-hear version of Led Zeppelin's "Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp"
DJ Revolution - The ABC's of High Fidelity (On the Corner) new from the radio co-host of The Wakeup Show
Dropkick Murphys - The Singles Collection Vol. 2 (Hellcat) featuring B-side covers of AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)," CCR's "Fortunate Son," and Shan 69's "Hey Little Rich Boy"
Evens - Evens (Dischord) new from Ian MacKaye of Fugazi and Amy Farina of the Warmers
Flaming Lips - Late Night Tales (Azuli) collection of the band's favorite songs for kicking back in the evening shade, featuring their own wild cover of The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army"
Reeves Gabrels - Rockonica (Favored Nations) new six-string mastery from the Tin Machine guitarist and in-demand session player
Jay Geils - Jay Geils Plays Jazz (Stony Plain) new directions from the J. Geils Band guitarist, featuring covers of Roland Kirk's "Funk Underneath" and Bill Doggett's "Honey Boy"
Roger Glover - Mask (Lemon) first time on CD for this excellent 1984 solo album from the Deep Purple bassist
Gordon Giltrap - Under This Blue Sky (United States of Dist) CD re-issue, featuring his cover of George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun"
Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion - Exploration (New West) with guests from The Jayhawks and Son Volt
The Holy Ghost - Welcome to Ignore Us (Clearly) hot New York rockers whipping up a sexy, possessed frenzy
Idlewild - Warnings/Promises (Capitol)
Joey Image - Hell Bent for Horror Business (Cleopatra) collection of tracks by the former Misfits drummer
Kaddisfly - Buy Our Intention, We'll Buy You a Unicorn (Hopeless) second album of passionate intensity from Oregon
Kasabian - Kasabian (RCA) big buzz on the domestic issue of this UK smash CD, reminiscent of Oasis swagger and Stone Roses swirl; on tour in May with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Kills - No Wow (RCA)
Jimmy LaFave - Blue Nightfall (Red House) pensive Americana from this Texas singer-songwriter who recently organized a Woody Guthrie Tribute Tour
Mando Diao - Hurricane Bar (Mute) killer second album of Swedish rock influenced by 1960s British Invasion and overdriven blues, enhanced with three videos
Mirrors - Green Dream (Birdman) first time on CD for this lost album from Greg Ashley of Gris Gris
moe - Warts & All Vol. IV (Fatboy) three-CD set featuring the band's cover of Jimmy Cliff's "Harder They Come"
Monade - A Few Steps More (Too Pure) new from Stereolab vocalist Laetitia Sadier
Paint It Black - Paradise (Jade Tree) second album featuring members of Good Riddance, Lifetime, and Kid Dynamite
Pigeon John - Sings the Blues (Basement) excellent, clever melodic rap from the self-proclaimed "hip-hop geek"
Sam Prekop - Who's Your New Professor? (Thrill Jockey) second solo album from the founder of The Sea & Cake
Duke Robillard & Ronnie Earl - The Duke Meets the Earl (Stony Plain) featuring guest Jimmy McGriff on the mighty Hammond B3, and covers of songs by Magic Sam, Walter Price, and B.B. King
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Chasm (KAB America) deeply layered and genre-skipping new album from the founding member of Yellow Magic Orchestra, with guests David Sylvain, MC Sniper, and Arto Lindsay
Snow Machine - Snow Machine (Daemon) sunny, fragile harmony pop from this Birmingham, Alabama, trio fronted by Katharine McElroy
Sonicflood - This Generation (Epic)
Super Furry Animals - Under the Influence (Under the Influence) mix CD of personal favorites from ELO, the Undertones, MC5, and Joey Beltram
Kevin Tihista's Red Terror - Home Demons, Volume 1 (Parasol) anticipated release from this Chicago critics' fave, featuring a cover of Dave Mason's "We Just Disagree"
Bill Ward - When the Bough Breaks (Dead Line) CD re-issue of this lost solo album by the Black Sabbath drummer
various artists - I Heard It On NPR: Singers, Songs, & Sessions (NPR) the fifth CD in this series of intimate recordings from Studio 4A, this time featuring The Jayhawks, Duncan Sheik, Calexico, and Natalie Merchant
various artists - Revive the Soul (Revive the Soul) two-CD set of down-tempo and electronic lounge featuring The Herbalizer, Kid Koala, Blue States, Funki Porcini, and more